18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
Starting a church puts in the frontline of the cosmic battle between the Kingdom of Light led by God and the kingdom of darkness led by satan. If satan had his way, all churches would shutdown. Here are some of the deadliest weapons he uses to kill a church. But we believe that the gates of hell shall not prevail against your church!
- The Critic: This is a person who expresses a pessimistic opinion of your church. They look at it from the outside and express an opinion of failure and disaster to you. The rule of thumb when it comes to church critics is, if they have not successfully built a church from scratch, their criticism is never constructive. Constructive criticism can only come from builders.
- The Skeptic: This is a person who is inclined to instinctively and habitually doubt your calling, question your gifts, and disagree with your sermons . They are always questioning you, second guessing you and disagreeing with you. Their agenda is making you doubt your calling. Always believe in your calling.
- The Intimidator: This is a person who specialises in frightening you concerning the wellbeing of your Church in order to make you submit to their agenda. Their job is to raise the levels of fear concerning your Church by exaggerating the dangers and risks involved in your Church…there is no Church that has no danger. Fear is a major Church killer, ignore intimidators.
- The saboteur: This is a person who deliberately works to destroy your Church from within. This is a person who will smile in your face, but work behind the scenes to make your ministry fail. Do not be gullible, be an individual who can discern character, and root out saboteurs.
- The fault-finder: This is a person specialises in finding faults in your Church, especially in trivial things. They are talented in spotting things of little value and blowing them out of proportion to discourage you. When you start a church its not going to be perfect, you will have loose-ends and blind spots. A fault finder, finds these things and throws them in your face constantly, to undermine your authority.
- The backseat driver: This is a person who is eager to advise you on how the Church must be run without taking responsibility. They are in the backseat of the Church, meaning they are not contributing to the vision, in terms of time, effort of finical support but yet seems to be very uncomfortable with your skills as the driver of the vision. Yet they have never driven, cant drive but want to tutor the driver how to drive while the driver is at the wheel. They are overly eager to give suggestions and criticism about the driver’s actions, and are very noisy in the process. Their efforts are designed to distract the driver. If you don’t like my driving, you have to 2 choices, either you are going to buckle up and shut up or get out of my car.
- The belittler: This is a person specialises in making you feel small and insignificant in ministry. They are out to make you depreciate the value of who you are by making you feel like nothing. You know someone is small when you spend time with them and you leave feeling small. You know someone is big when you leave their presence feeling bigger. The belittler is afraid of how big you are and wants to make you feel smaller than you really are. Ignore them and keep growing!
God bless you